Monday, April 7, 2014

Upside Down Tangerine

Whew! What a month! And we are only seven days into it! I just closed in an intense play, and I am writing a poem a day for National Poetry Month. Unfortunately, since I happened to get one of those engagement calendars that starts the week on Monday instead of Sunday, I am never quite sure what day or date it is. Yes, I am feeling a little like an upside-down tangerine. But I think today is Monday, April 7, and that I have indeed written seven poems.

Also today I have a poem, "Finish Line," in the new issue of Intentional Walk, an online magazine that specializes in literature about sports! Since I am not very sportsy, this feels like a win!

If you hate self-promotion as much as I do, you'll know how much of a relief it was to read this today and be able to laugh at it: Writers You Want to Punch in the Face(book).Yep. And if you are a non-artist who hates the seeming (and real) self-promotion of artists announcing new work, you might enjoy this and enjoy knowing that writers piss each other off, too. But please also forgive us, as we are told to have a place where people can find out about us and click on our work.

So here's a reminder of a news-based poetry reading, News That Stays News, coming up April 22. If you are local, please come to support Judith Valente, Susan Baller-Shepard, and visiting poet from the Northwest, Scott Poole. It's at the First United Methodist Church at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, April 22, Earth Day 2014. There, I've told you! Twice.

Many thanks to Jonathan Koch for Tangerine Study and Mandarin on Books. OK, now I'm feeling a little more right side up.

2 comments:

seana graham said...

Nice poem. Yes, it's funny how there are still pleasures to be had for the unsportsy, isn't it?

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Seana! Yep, it's basically walking, swimming, and yoga for me. I was briefly (one night) on a women's softball team in 2002, but the universe said no.